It was expected of me to write a blog about the school shooting tragedy. I am, after all, an activist. I am pro stricter gun laws and restrictions. I am all for taking care of our people/ each other, better. I am for better health care including better mental health care. I am for and against a lot of things. I however, feel that the past few days have only brought up more anger. I have been angry myself, stirring up some conversations on Facebook. When something tragic happens, we usually come closer, but in this case, because of the nature of this tragedy, our country is divided. The gun debate is on the table once again. Hopefully this time, we can come up with a compromise. But as I have and will mention in future posts, gun laws are not the only thing to change.
Instead of discussing all the things that we can do, change, better, etc. I would like to follow my kid’s advice and write a positive post, after the fast post, the things that frustrate me post, here is a things I like post. Hopefully you will find some things you like too among my list of fun things. Some I discovered years ago, some just recently. So, a la Oprah style, here are, my Favorite Things:
* Let me start with a website I discovered just a few months ago. It is called Inhabitat.
“Inhabitat.com is a weblog devoted to the future of design, tracking the innovations in technology, practices and materials that are pushing architecture and home design towards a smarter and more sustainable future.”
Inhabitat is a great blog for anyone who is environmentally conscious, likes cool eco-friendly ideas. They have many sections such as fashion, products, art, technology and architecture.
* Mumford and Sons. My favorite band this year. I just love them so much. ok. I have always had an obsession with British, Scottish or Irish music. If you love bluegrass, folk music, mandolin and banjo, then Mumford and Sons is for you as well!
* HOMELAND. If there is one DVD I would recommend to buy this season, it would be season 1 of HOMELAND. Season 2 just ended too so it will be available shortly. Best show on Cable for sure.
* Favorite documentary this year: HAPPY and BUCK. Buck is more than a Horse documentary, it is a documentary for humanity. It is a must see. Watching it just makes you a better person. It teaches you love, forgiveness and strength.
*Favorite movie this year: well I have unfortunately not been able to see what would probably be my favorite movie: ARGO. Ben Affleck is a fantastic director and I know Argo would be my favorite. But ok, there were some really good movies that did not get enough credit. The Magic of Belle Isle was one of them. Moonrise Kingdom was another one. Butter was hilarious.
* Favorite new app: PINTEREST. Also: POLYVORE.
* Favorite new scientific show: Through the Wormhole
* Favorite new healthy product: E3Live
* Favorite new chocolate: CHUAO Chocolatier. Available at Whole Foods also.
* Favorite new product that I have not bought yet: MICROSOFT SURFACE. I went to the store to play with it and I admit, it is pretty cool. It has all the features a cool smartphone would have but it’s a computer!!!! I want! Someday….probably in 5 years when I will have a ton of other cooler stuff!
* Favorite hair product: Shikai
* New alcoholic discovery: Leblon Brazilian Rum You can use it as Rum or Tequila. Pretty good stuff!
* My weird obsession this year: Adam Levine. I never used to like him or Maroon Five but now I love them and him! The Voice has shown us a great side of him I had no idea existed. I would love to meet the guy.
* Favorite new actor discovery this year: Tom Hiddleston Deep Blue Sea, War Horse. He gives amazing performances. Also, he is British….
* Favorite actress in 2012: Jessica Chastain. I absolutely love that woman! The Help and The Tree of Life were two of my favorite movies this year and her performances were to me in both movies, oscar worthy. I am excited about Zero Dark Thirty. Jessica Chastain is going to be big, just watch!
* Best TV comedy: yes, still, of course: MODERN FAMILY
As you can see, I am not a materialistic person, I cannot really think of many products I have to share with you. I guess if I had a show, I wouldn’t have too many things to give away like Oprah! Sorry for that….or Am I?